Today’s French Word is “pingouin”. It means penguin.
- Penguins are flightless birds.
- While other birds have wings for flying, penguins have adapted flippers to help them swim in the water.
- Most penguins live in the Southern Hemisphere.
- The Galapagos Penguin is the only penguin specie that ventures north of the equator in the wild.
- Large penguin populations can be found in countries such as New Zealand, Australia, Chile, Argentina and South Africa.
- No penguins live at the North Pole.
- Penguins can drink sea water.
- Penguins spend around half their time in water and the other half on land.
- The Emperor Penguin is the tallest of all penguin species, reaching as tall as 120 cm (47 in) in height.